Thursday 3 July 2008

Retail therapy is great isn't it?

Retail therapy is great!

The only problem I have with shopping with the kids during the mid year school holidays is that K-Mart, Target & Big W all put their MASSIVE TOY SALES on at this time.

Who in their right mind wants to go toy shopping with the kids in tow???? I know I don't, hence I usually avoid the sales, for me it's sometimes worth paying the extra couple of dollars just to avoid the crowds.

I had to go to Big W today to exchange something that I bought yesterday (another story), and being the first day of the Big W toy sale there were, needless to say, A LOT OF PEOPLE THERE!!! The queue for the Lay-By desk (which is at the back of the store - oddly enough right next to the toy dept.) was almost to the front door where all the registers are!!!!!! OMG - is all I could say.

I was staggered at the amount of toys people had in their trolleys and queuing in the Lay-By queue. Now don't get me wrong, I love to buy my kids things, but this was bordering on ridiculous!!!!!!

It just got me thinking that we are such a consumer society, give it to me now, I want it, I need it, I will have it!!!!!! It made me think of how much we buy and all the packaging that is so unnecessary. I know at Christmas time, it takes me almost a month to get rid of all the packaging that gets tossed, because I put it in the recycling bin and that only gets collected fortnightly. Note to Council - at Christmas have weekly recycling pick-up!

Anyway, I walked out of Big W vowing to not go overboard on my Christmas shopping this year.

No comments: